Wednesday, May 8, 2013

THE BOOK OF THE WEEK - ON THE ROAD BY JACK KEROUAC



I would like to begin this weekly column with one of the titles that has most changed my reason for being in youth, I'm obviously talking about 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac.
This book, published in 1951, accounted for the beat generation and for all those in a desperate hunt for freedom a starting point, a milestone.
The plot, which I will not be here to tell you, is about the pursuit of themselves and a profound truth.
The protagonist hitchhiking in the America of the 40s and find the opportunity to grow, mature and have a confront with a reality that is different from what he had imagined with happiness, suffering and a bittersweet irony which comprises the background to the story.
I also reccomend to read the biography of the writer, a novel inside a novel, It can be enlightening.
A 'MUST HAVE' book.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really know why but I just wasn't into this book...don't get me wrong,

    ReplyDelete